The need of alternative, environmentally friendly and less impoverishment energy resources have spurred increasing use of energy generated from renewable sources. Since years Petroceramics is actively involved in researching and optimizing alternative materials that can be use for energy production, transformation and storage.
In particularly we are working on more reliable and efficient materials that can be used for electrical energy storage systems or batteries capable of reversibly storing and releasing electrical energy
We have developed solid electrolytes based on beta alumina with specific composition by introducing different elements that acts as dopant and stabilisers and featuring increased active area and decreased diffusion distance. Thanks to an extensive activity we have designed a very straightforward and cost saving process, which include optimization of starting material preparation, shaping and sintering
Petroceramics is also involved in the EU funded project AMPHIBIAN that aims at creating inexpensive, non harmful ferrite-based permanent magnets for energy conversion. Such magnets are envisaged for several technological applications e.g. motors and generators, medical technology, the automotive industry, computer engineering, and household appliances, among others.
Solid Oxide Cells (SOCs)
Petroceramics has developed its own Solid Oxide Cell (SOC) technology by implementing an innovative manufacturing methodology (patent application on august 2023) able to produce high density electrolytes capable of improving both performances and cell lifetime.
SOCs are a special typology of fuel cells working at high temperatures (700-900 °C). They can electrochemically convert chemical energy into electricity and heat or working in reversible mode by converting electricity and heat in chemical energy. Several use cases can be implemented:
- Co-generation of heat and electricity from methane or hydrogen
- Water electrolysis with efficiency > 90% for the production of oxygen and hydrogen (Power-to-X, Power-to-Power)
- Co-Electrolysis of carbon oxide and water (CO2+H2O) to produce synthetic fuels like carbon monoxide and hydrogen (CO+H2)
- Making hydrogen for the production of ammonia through Haber-Bosch process
Petroceramics is developing a new manufacturing approach of SOCs which will be able to reduce costs substantially.
We can also manufacture:
- electrolyte supported solid oxide cells
- metal supported solid oxide cells
- proton conductive oxide cells (PCC)
- solid oxide oxygen-ion-conducting membranes (SOOECs)
For more details and for a specific quotation, please contact us.